volunteered at Alapot Health Post



Last summer, I spent a month in Nepal volunteering at a health clinic
in Bhadrabas, a rural village just outside of Kathmandu. The
experience was significant for me in a number of ways. Though I have
traveled considerably in the past, I had never witnessed first hand
the challenges of third-world poverty. The clinic I worked at was
small, busy, and desperately short of resources. As a new volunteer
with virtually no previous medical training, I did my best to help
serve in the ways I could. I helped keep records, dressed wounds, and
comforted patients, mostly children, undergoing painful procedures.
When I was not working, I spent my time studying Nepali and reading
Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook, to enhance
my ability to provide support. Volunteering at that health clinic was
powerful for me because not only did I have the opportunity to assist
those in need, but I found that working in the context of health care
was uniquely fulfilling. Now more than ever, I am committed to
becoming a doctor to improve the well being of those in need.

i have been thinking about everyone in nepal a lot lately. i hope
everyone is doing well and that h4h is getting plenty
of volunteers to come to nepal. i have been in touch with kumar from
new diamond recently. please send my greetings along to everyone. i
look forward to hearing from you!

--gavin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteer experience with Hands for Help Nepal…7 week orphanage placement.

Nepal Banda strikes daily life.