Volunteer experience with Hands for Help Nepal…7 week orphanage placement.


I chose Hands for Help because of the variety of projects available and as a local, grassroots organisation I hoped the projects would be well tailored to the needs of the local communities and provide good support for volunteers. I wasn’t disappointed.

The induction in Kathmandu gave me an opportunity to acclimatise, learn a surprising amount of Nepali from my excellent teacher, visit some of the most beautiful sights in the city, and enjoy the wonderful rooftop views of the city from the Millennium Inn….

On my 4th day I was met by Badri, the volunteer coordinator and Kripa Lama who ran the orphanage that I would be staying at, and taken to my placement on the outskirts of Bhaktapur. My room was in the orphanage ‘annex’ where 5 babies, and 6 small children, a cook, Kripa, his wife and Nima a relative all lived. The other 40 children lived across the road in a larger house (ours had 3 rooms, a kitchen and a toilet), and I was struck by how small the house was as well as how bare – but they had clearly made an effort with my room and were very welcoming.

The children were aged between 3 and 10 in the annex and up to 16 in the orphanage; I soon discovered how hard work, but great fun it was just keeping up with them all! Most of my time was spent playing games, drawing, reading and writing with the children as well as looking after the small babies – no easy task without running water or nappies. But they were all adorable, affectionate and full of life and I loved being around them. Mainly I felt I was there to be an extra pair of hands and someone new to take an interest in them and organise games and treats. I also took the opportunity to get them ready and take them to school and even spent 3 weeks teaching English full time covering for a teacher who was absent.

I learnt so much in my 7 weeks, and saw how much difference small things can make. I learnt to be more adaptable, patient, and resourceful and made some good friends. A little bit of time, money and initiative can go a long way in one of these projects and being involved is incredibly rewarding and enriching.

I would definitely recommend anyone thinking of volunteering with Hands for Help Nepal to go for it. It is an opportunity to experience things you may otherwise never get the chance to, to push yourself outside your comfort zone, as well as meet some lovely welcoming people.

I received all the support and help I asked for from Badri during my time in the orphanage. I felt the induction he organised was helpful and welcomed me to what is a beautiful and fascinating country, I am looking forward to my next visit….

My email address is vapresland@yahoo.co.uk and I’ll happily answer any further questions about my time in Nepal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

volunteered at Alapot Health Post

Says 34 Children were rescued from Aama Ghar ( Monthers Home)