Volunteer Remark


I decided to volunteer in Nepal because I am a student of Buddhism and an avid hiker.
Quickly upon arriving in Kathmandu, I decided the city did not offer what I was looking for, so decided to volunteer at the Hyulsa Gumba (monestary) near Besishahar, approx. 6 hours away. The lush, serene setting of the Gumba was exactly what I was looking for. The accommodations and lack of privacy took some time to adjust to (and it was also my first experience with a non-Western toilet!), but the warmth and beauty of the landscape and the monks put me at ease and made the days fly by. I hadn't realized how close Annapurna was from the Gumba--it is possible to start the trek from the Gumba if you're interested. Another tip I want to give is to bring plenty of pens--which are frequently requested by the children you will encounter near the Gumba.
Volunteering immersed me into the Nepalese and Buddhist culture in ways I would have not received as a tourist.

Barbara Ehlers

St., Apt. 208, Kew Gardens

NY 11415, USA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Volunteer experience with Hands for Help Nepal…7 week orphanage placement.

volunteered at Alapot Health Post

Nepal Banda strikes daily life.